PE and Sports Premium
The Sports Premium really enabled St Matthew’s to improve our PE/sports provision over the last five academic years and we are looking to continue to improve our offer.
Overview of Sport Provision
- Our wonderful big green field where we can run, play and explore.
- The Merton Sports Partnership which brokers and shares the talents and expertise of specialist teachers and organises cross borough and inter borough competitions for us.
- Well trained and enthusiastic teachers and support staff who enjoy sport themselves. Teachers run sports clubs before school for the children.
- Mr. Paddy O’D, retired Deputy Head of Wimbledon College, who generously and voluntarily coaches our children, particularly in touch rugby, cricket and athletics.
- Our healthy and fun loving children who want to test and challenge themselves.
- Well stocked P.E. sheds.
- Many of our children belong to families whose parents enjoy sport and encourage them to be involved in sports and activity out of school.
- Gym hall with large and small apparatus
- A very successful and enjoyable sports day.
- Termly House Sport Competitions
- Gymnastics Show
Sporting Highlights of 2017
- Year 5 and 6 Rugby team progressing to the borough finals.
- Year 3 and 4 team winning the Raynes Park Tag rugby and Football Tournaments.
- Year 5 and 6 Kwik Cricket Girls team progressing through the borough finals to the London Youth Games.
- Gymnastics Show in Spring Term.
- Year 5 Class Sports Leadership training put into practice with organising and running the KS1 Multiskills Festivals.
- ‘How to be an Archer’ sessions for all Year groups.
- Traditional Country Dancing day (whole school).
- Jai (Year 3) winning the Merton Challenge Run for his age group and Mia (Year 6) coming third place.